East Bay Bristol County Lacrosse Association
September 26th, 2011
7pm , Barrington Public Library, Barrington
In Attendance: Matt Hayes, Peter Ramsden, Michael Curry, Ted Broomhead, Michael Payton, John Gaffney, Molly Lacerte, Dee Walton
Guest Attendees: Elizabeth Welshman, EBBCLA Nominating Committee ( 7:00pm – 7:25pm ), Julie Gaffney, BMS Lacrosse ( 8:00pm – 8:45pm ), Mel Bride, BMS Lacrosse ( 8:15pm – 8:45pm )
The meeting was called to order at 7:00 pm
Nominating Committee Report – Elizabeth Welshman
· To date, no new volunteers have expressed an interested in joining the Executive Board
· Solicitation to parents had no response
· A solicitation to coaches is planned in addition to informal discussions at the upcoming Coaches’ Appreciation Night 10/3
· Discussion followed of specific people for the Nominating Committee to contact and ask to serve on the 2012 Executive Board
· Recruiting efforts will attempt to balance the girls’ and boys’ representation on the board
· Next Steps
o Nominating Committee will contact current Executive Board Members to determine interest in continuing in 2012
o Nominating Committee will contact identified coaches/individuals to determine their interested in consideration for the 2012 Executive Board
o Current Executive Board will continue to recruit potential new members
Elizabeth Welshman excused at 7:25pm
Approval of Last Meeting Minutes
Peter Ramsden made a motion to approve the June 27th meeting minutes. The motion was seconded by Michael Payton and passed by a unanimous vote.
Treasurer’s Report – John Gaffney
· Cash is strong with a small accumulation
· Revenue and Expenses are tracking similarly to last year with a slight improvement
· A profit and loss statement for January through August 2011 was distributed showing some variances that are more a result of categorization than actual change in revenue and expenses
· John Gaffney will re-categorize the revenue and expenses to be more reflective of actual sub-categories. A revised report will be presented at the October 24 th meeting
· Discussion on tournament revenue and expenses followed. John Gaffney will present a separate report on Tournament fees at the October 24 th meeting
· Peter Ramsden has submitted the 501c3 paperwork to the state
Ted Broomhead made a motion to approve the Treasurer’s Report. The motion was seconded by Michael Curry and passed by a unanimous vote.
Annual Meeting Preparation – Matt Hayes
· Matt Hayes will compose a meeting invitation for Dee Walton to electronically distribute to the coaches no later than two weeks prior to October 24 th in accordance with the EBBCLA by-laws.
· John Gaffney will have updated financial reports prepared including the tournament revenue/expense report and the re-categorized Profit and Loss statement for 2011 YTD
· The meeting will be at the Barrington Public Library October 24 th at 7pm
RIYLL Update – Peter Ramsden
· There was a meeting on July 28 th with 8 programs in attendance. Minutes of that meeting have not yet been distributed.
· Most of the programs in attendance did not agree with the severity of the scheduling problem this past season but agree that a partial schedule is not acceptable
· There will be a 3/1/12 deadline for team counts and field availability to be submitted to RIYLL. EBBCLA would prefer that date be 2/1/12 or 2/15/12 .
· In an attempt to increase RIYLL revenue, referee fees have been increased from $48 per game to $53 per game
· There was discussion about what EBBCLA can do to encourage change within RIYLL
o An offer to assist with scheduling was made and declined by RIYLL
o As a program, EBBCLA has one vote within RIYLL despite being the largest program so our leverage is minimal
Julie Gaffney and Mel Bride joined the meeting at 8:15pm
BMS Lacrosse Program – Matt Hayes
· There has been ongoing communication about coordination between EBBCLA and BMS Lacrosse program
o Increase in size of both programs has created more scheduling conflicts and confusion for families
o Both organizations have agreed to attempt a more seamless program format that will require changes to both programs, Executive Boards, and by-laws
· Discussion on the planned format for both 5/6 and 7/8 recreational and competitive players
· Discussion on the financial impact of both organizations and participating families
· General discussion on the required changes to the EBBCLA by-laws
Julie Gaffney and Mel Bride excused at 8:45pm
· Additional discussion on the required EBBCLA by-law changes was followed by a decision to defer voting until the October 24 th meeting
· Matt Hayes will draft proposed by-law changes and distribute electronically prior to the October 24 th meeting
Coaches Trailing/Development – Dee Walton
· Positive Coaching Alliance contract – Dee Walton and John Gaffney will meet to review the proposed contract. Scheduling for any training/clinics will be deferred until after the Board elections
· Level II Certification – Dee Walton is working with RIYLL on scheduling, there is no date yet
Winter Practice Space at Sherwood – Dee Walton
· Dee Walton will propose a practice calendar to the board for consideration at the October 24 th meeting
John Gaffney made a motion to adjourn the meeting. The motion was seconded by Michael Payton and after a unanimous vote, the meeting was adjourned at 9:00pm .
The next meeting is scheduled for 7 pm , October 24 th at the Barrington Public Library.